About the job
Awell is a health tech startup on a Mission to make care flows work harder than care teams.
We get up in the morning to improve healthcare for patients and care teams by changing the care delivery model. The current model has led to an incredible amount of waste, a tragic level of burnout among care teams and a high variation in care quality across and within countries. We want to change this.
The Awell platform and the CareOps practices provide care teams with the right tools to improve outcomes and lower the cost of care by designing, implementing and evolving software-powered care flows. Awell’s Vision is to become the leading CareOps platform used by care teams worldwide to drive continuous improvement in care delivery.
We are still a relatively small team, spread across the globe (Europe, Asia and the US), but thanks to our recent fundraise, we’re expanding fast. We are backed by top VC investors like Octopus Ventures, LocalGlobe, and Moonfire. We are looking for open-minded people who are committed to continuously improving themselves and the world around them.
As an AI Engineer, you will be an early member of our research and development team, helping us to build the build the world’s leading CareOps platform. Our platform is burgeoning and we are continually bringing on new customers and collecting unique and interesting data – the work you’ll be doing will help to create a step function improvement for our customers.
We’re calling this role an AI engineer because you’ll not only be performing research but will be expected to build POCs, think about the solution, work cross-functionally, and communicate with a product mindset.
As a domain expert, teacher and learner, you’ll bring your pre-existing knowledge and experience building AI products using LLMs, embeddings or other ML natural language technologies to the team, but you’ll balance that with perpetual curiosity and understanding that there is always more to learn.
- As our first AI engineer hire, you’ll be architecting our initial ML pipeline with the support of the engineering team.
- You’ll be performing applied research at the intersection of care flows and natural language technologies and exploring innovative solutions to unsolved problems.
- You’ll help to design and implement end-to-end generative AI-driven products
- You will be combining industry best practices and a first-principles approach to design and build models and infrastructure
- You’ll work in concert with product, design, and engineering to improve Awell’s CareOps platform.
- Provide honest feedback and mentorship to teammates in an effort to help them grow
- Do your best to embody Awell’s values, but we all fall sometimes, so help to lift up your team and search for learning experiences when you reach one of your many inevitable failures
- Communicate clearly and often
- You have a strong sense of ownership & autonomy.
- You are a team player and understand that cross-functional teams yield superior results over individual efforts.
- You love solving hard problems and are not afraid of a challenge because healthcare is all about solving hard problems.
- You are a clear communicator, both written and verbal.
- 4 or more years of ML experience in one or more of the following areas: machine learning, recommendation or ranking systems, natural language understanding/generation, or artificial intelligence.
- Cloud provider: GCP
- Deployment: Kubernetes/Helm/Terraform
- Language / runtime: Typescript/NodeJS
- API: GraphQL
- Datastores: ArangoDB (graph + document), Mongo, Redis
- Microservices framework: Moleculer
- Message brokers: NATS, Kafka, Google Pub/Sub, Redis
- Data and logging: BigQuery, Elastic, Logstash, Kibana
- Monitoring: Prometheus, Grafana, Sentry, Datadog
- A competitive salary
- Yearly learning and development stipend
- Strong growth opportunities (as we’re still relatively small but expanding fast)
- Flexible work hours
- Flexible vacation policy (unlimited PTO)
- Your choice of computing equipment